ab Chasing Kate: Broken record...

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Broken record...

Lately, my automated responses have been getting to me. Where are you going? When do you leave? How long will you be there? What will you be doing? Why are you doing this? I spout out the same information person to person, day to day and it's easy hear yourself saying things without really listening to what you're saying.

I've began to really question my intentions as a volunteer in the past few weeks. Am I being too ethnocentric? Isn't this too culturally imperialisic? Who am I really doing this for? And I wish those were easy questions to answer. I'm not trying to impose my values, customs, or beliefs on anyone and I am teaching English because the Kyrgyzstan government officials realize the importance of education and learning one of the most universal languages in the world. (Plus, they originally wanted me to teach physics, but I could barely pass physics let alone try to teach it in another language). And I would be lying if I said I wasn't doing part of this for me.

But I am also doing this because I love working with children, learning about other cultures and teaching others about mine. I am doing this because I want to make a difference in someone else's life. I am doing this because I know it's going to be a challenge and I want to see how far I can test my boundaries. I am doing this because I know I can.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW--I got tears in my eyes reading this! When did you become so grown up and insightful sis?
Miss you much--Julie

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go Katie. Be safe and I will pray for you.

Love,

Mary Ellen

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home