ab Chasing Kate: I Got Nothing.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

I Got Nothing.

I think my sensitivity to my outside surroundings is numbing. You know that age-old saying “it was nothing to write home about” well I guess I have to say, “it was nothing to blog about”. It’s becoming increasingly more difficult to write interesting stories or experiences that may be unusual to my regular readers so if I’m boring you, I apologize. Hopefully these few stories are entertaining, if they aren’t I invite you to stop reading all together.

I was chased by two different cows twice this week, which is particularly scary since they don’t cut off the horns like they do in America. One was bucking it’s head up and down, closing the distance between us and my neighbors got a real kick out of me screaming and running away like a little girl. When I first got here, I felt like such an idiot when I asked where the all girl cows were. I got a few quizzical looks until someone informed me that bulls aren’t the only ones with horns. Haha. Whoops.

Last fall when tomatoes were still abundantly plentiful one of my student’s mothers invited me over to help can them. I felt like Betty Crocker herself learning how to preserve veggies and was exceptionally proud of myself. Too bad this skill will go entirely to waste since we can get tomatoes year round at home. Speaking of which, I haven’t eaten a fresh tomato since when I was in Thailand.

One volunteer found Oreos. OREOS! They were in a Chinese market in the very back on the bottom shelf (hiding them from us gluttonous Americans, no doubt). They packaging was in Chinese but Oreos were clearly written across the front in the classic Nabisco letters. Naturally I bought as many packages as I could carry (as gifts, people). I opened one when I got home enjoying the chocolaty goodness when I tested my abilities at reading Chinese. On one side of the package it was clearly marked, calories: 2,050KJ per 100 grams. I scanned the package in a panic to find out how many grams where in the entire package. 150. My mouth dropped open at the possibility that I just consumed over 2,000 calories in less than 5 minutes. And I wasn’t even finished. I was only done with half. Well I figured, what the hell, might as well finish them, what’s another 1,000 calories at that point, right? Luckily thanks to Google, I found out that Oreos are only 55 calories each and each package contained 7- 385 calories is still a lot, don’t get me wrong but not as bad as say, 3,000. For you health nuts, one Oreo can be burned off in 7 minutes of walking. If that’s not incentive, I don’t know what is.

So cows, tomatoes and Oreos, that’s all I got. For you avid readers, I’ll try harder next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home