ab Chasing Kate: Strike A Pose

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Strike A Pose

I’ve gotten a couple questions on whether or not I’ve seen Borat or read Absurdistan. I’m pretty sure I’m not allowed to comment on the content of either without serious repercussions but the answer is yes. To both. I think it’s interesting about the timing of all this and how Central Asia is becoming (dare I say) en vogue? Granted most of the foreigners I met in Turkey and Thailand still think I live in Kurdistan and some of you still think I’m in Kazakhstan or even worse, Russia (you know who you are) but after the increased media attention, people are going to start to take notice of all the –stans rather than just lumping them together as the Former Soviet Union. I was watching the second season of West Wing and they even pronounced the country correctly… now if only we can get our current news anchors to do the same.

I guess that closes this edition of my popular culture review. I actually didn’t feel so out of the loop this time. By the way, in Borat, the –rat is pronounced with a long o sound (as in the word got) not with a nasal a sound (as is in the word apple). After 16 months of living here I know I’ve learned that much. Don’t make me laugh at you when I get back.


Grant update:

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to my project, I'm doing well and I only have about 500-600 dollars left to go. Thanks to everyone who has been getting the word out about it with any luck in a few months it will be fully funded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home