ab Chasing Kate: Not so different

Monday, December 26, 2005

Not so different

So I have been trying to think of all the things that are the same about Kyrgyzstan and America and my list is slowly growing. One of the things I've noticed is that all the marshrutka drivers wave to each other when they pass each other like all the bus drivers to at home. And in a lot of them, they hang up their first earned som. See? It's not that different here, afterall.

My record so far for not banyaing is now 15 days. My sisters really don't care about my personal hygiene as much as I do, so I think I'm going to have to start making my own appointments at the private banya in my village. The thing is that I don't even think I smelled all that bad but I did notice that my skin was sloughing off at every opportunity. I don't think I'll ever go that long without bathing again.

One of my closest friends here, Jordan, just got news that he got Medically separated- although I am secretly convinced that he just did it to compete with me for having the most medical problems since being in country. I guess I underestimated his competitiveness because I just spoke to him and he's now back in America. We think he was allergic to cold weather because he's never spent an extended amount of time out of the Houston humidity so hopefully his cough and health will improve soon. You're in our thoughts and prayers, buddy. Like most of the other people and guys here he dropped a ton of weight. 35 pounds. (Are you eating your protein, J?) He didn't even have that much to lose but I guess being in a third world country will do that to you. Especially if you're from Texas where red meat is it's own food group. We miss him dearly and it'll be hard without him because America just re-claimed one of our best. Hopefully he gets a new Peace Corps assignment soon so next winter when Kyrgyz starts getting cold again I can fly over to Africa or Thailand for a nice little holiday. We're keeping our fingers crossed for Thailand.

Christmas was good here. We celebrated by going over to the Hyatt for their brunch. A group of us stayed there for 3 1/2 hours and I successfully achieved my goal of gaining back all the weight I lost since being here. It was really amazing that I consumed that much food in one sitting. Even the guys were impressed.

Everything else here is going alright, I have about 2 1/2 weeks off for the winter break so I'll be doing more reading than normal. So far, I've finished 14 books so if you are at a loss for ideas about what to send, I just gave my mom a hefty list of ones that I want to read so you can always call her (hint, hint). Also, if you plan on regifting, I don't judge- so just send me any Christmas gifts that you don't want (hideous sweaters with bells or bears on them are totally fine with me). I hope everyone's holiday was warm and filled with cheer, you have all been in my thoughts and prayers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home