ab Chasing Kate: 6 is a crowd.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

6 is a crowd.

So my host brother went back to his hometown, Kochkor for a few days and brought back with him a huge smile and… his little sister. Recently, his 17-year-old sister was kidnapped and his family is afraid that his 15-year-old sister will be kidnapped too, far too young for a bride, even by Kyrgyz standards. So now she’s living here and is going to find a job in the city, and maybe finish school? But I don’t know if that’s in the plans or not. So now we have 6 people living in my house, Bocktaer and I have our own rooms, Jildez and Kundus share a room, Japara sleeps in our living room on the couch and now his little sister is sleeping in our “dining room”. As for now, I’m laying low, observing how things are going, waiting for the fun to start. Earlier Jildez told me that everyone was leaving and by summer it would just be Jildez, Kundus and I but as far as I can see, we keep adding, not subtracting people.

The weather has been warm all week which means the kids turned into little hooligans over night. When I first came here, I was like a novelty to them, they listened, they worked, they hung on my every word. Now that they realize I’m just a normal person and not some superhero from America, they lost all interest in me and could really care less about my English lessons. Trying to motivate my students is the hardest part and this week I had it up to here (think forehead) with them. They know I’m not going to punish them but now they are blatantly taking advantage of me (coming into class 30 minutes late, talking through the entire lesson) and I’ve had enough. This was probably my most eventful week so far. I broke up my first fight; I threw one kid out of class, I told one kid not to come for the rest of the quarter and canceled my English club for an entire class of kids who didn’t do their homework. Look who's boss, now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home