ab Chasing Kate: Grab and run.

Friday, February 24, 2006

Grab and run.

This article on Bride Kidnapping has been called to my attention recently. I haven't wrote about it yet but it's basically a tradition where a guy can snag any girl off the street and make her a wife. Think she's pretty? Nevermind asking her out on a date, just steal her. It's one of the only traditions that I find that is really unfortunate and some people here think so too but they also know it's a tradition so they abide by it. My 21 year old sister is really worried about it because she wants to marry for love instead. Smart girl. My cousin's sister was just kidnapped and I was surprised by his response. He told me he offered to go and get her back but his parents declined and said it's too late. Too late for the rest of your life?! Some other guys asked me what I would do if it happened to me, I said it's not my tradition so I would never marry someone who kidnapped me unless he was ridiculously good looking and rich (ok, sorry, no time for jokes). Read the article though, it's interesting and well explained and is a major part of the culture here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home