ab Chasing Kate: This sh*t is bananas

Friday, February 10, 2006

This sh*t is bananas

Yesterday I was walking around Bishkek and I had a craving for a banana, so I bought one. Let me tell you what a rare occurrence this is. Bananas are 15 sohm which is relatively expensive on my salary. When I started eating it, I immediately felt guilty because bananas are a luxury many people can't afford. I was walking and eating at the same time and I could feel people's stares (even more than usual). I think next time I have a banana craving, I'll eat it in the privacy of my own room and then stash the peel somewhere. I never thought I'd be a fruit-smuggler before.

I have always been a lover of dogs and children but living here has tested my patience with both. Not babies in particular, but any child under the age of 5. I was sitting down yesterday and this kid ran up to me, zapped me and ran away. I gave this look of "what-the-", I am so going to find your mother, but she was no where to be found. I guess that explains it. And dogs. Don't even get me started. I always thought, "what kind of an idiot gets bitten by a dog?!" (no offense, Charlie, Tana and Tim) until I was home last weekend and I was at Phil's host family and their dog (aptly) named Fox was gnawing the crap out of my leg. I don't think it hurt so much as I was surprised by it. Little bastard.

I am pretty used to getting ripped off by now but I have gotten pretty keen on my Russian bargaining skills. I was buying two pairs of hand-knitted socks for 300 sohm total and I talked her down to 250. By the time the whole business was said and done I felt so bad for cheating this poor grandma out of 50 sohm (roughly one dollar) for a pair of socks she made with her own hands, so I just told her not to worry about my change. I'm either getting ripped off or feeling bad for getting a fair price for something. Either way I pay the same amount. I need to stop consulting my conscience so much in this country.


(Censored by Peace Corps Kyrgyzstan)

I'm just about to hit my 5 month mark here and I was thinking about how much of a different person I was before and about how naive I was. I imagine that Martha (the K-11 I visited in Karakol) had a good laugh to herself when I asked if the milk she was drinking was skim, I now understand her the look on her face when she said, "we got it from the nearest neighbor who owns a cow". I laugh every time I'm on my way to our neighbors house with a jar in my hand to pay 10 sohm for a liter of milk. And I used to care that when I was in the banya you use one basin for all of your washing, before I got grossed out that I put my feet in it, then my face in it but now I don't care and realize that it's all going to get (semi) clean anyway. Whenever I go to the public banya, I don't even give it second thought about who's face or feet have been in the basin before me. It's going to be a rude awakening when I come back in two years when people expect me to shower everyday and get a new change of clothes (we wear the same thing for a week here). I guess that's too soon to be thinking about anyway. I just think my concept of normal is getting more and more distorted as time goes by here.

Alright I know this was a really random blog entry but it has just been a culmination of things that I've been thinking about lately. I feel like this blog isn't accurately representative of my life here but I have a hard time putting most things into words. My life here is a constant joke that ends with the punch line, "guess you had to be there."

Quick shout outs:

Mrs. John, I got your letter today with the pictures, Lacey's bridal shower must have been so much fun, I wish I could have been there too. And girls (Lace, Brin, Krott, Jenn and Halie) you guys look gorgeous, it was nice to see you all. My first thought was, "they all look so... so... healthy! and young, and vibrant." The way I've been treating/damaging my body it's no wonder that I've aged so quickly in so little time.

And Jase, I love you so much, you're the best. It was so good to hear your voice, you brightened my entire month.

And the rest of you, I hate to complain but my letter-return-rate is sub-par at best. I can't help it that I hate going to the internet here, I never have enough time, I'm always rushed and I never get to say everything I want to say so letters it is for me. I know you all are super busy with your own lives but don't make me divorce you all when I get home, just go make friends with your local postman. Some of you are doing great though and I appreciate and love the effort and it literally makes my whole week that much better to get something tangible from home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home