ab Chasing Kate: C Novie Godom!

Monday, January 02, 2006

C Novie Godom!

C Novie Godom means Happy New Year's in Russian. Yes, that's the only thing I know how to say. So Phil, Bohee and I went back to our original village to visit our old host families, and they were as happy to see us as we were to see them so it was nice to be back "home". In Kyrgyzstan, they don't just party for New Years Eve here, they party the entire next day too. For New Years Eve, Phil's Mom and Bohee's Dad came running in my house dressed as Santa and pretty much kidnapped me to take me guesting. We ate, drank, and danced our butts off until 4 in the morning. So the next day, I go over to Bohee's house thinking I would just lounge around all day and recover from the night before. Not so. The vodka came pouring out at 11:30 in the morning. We all shot each other an oh-my-God-we're-going-to-die-today look, but we all stuck together so it wasn't too bad. We spent the rest of the day visiting the houses of all our old host families and went guesting for another 12 hours. 12 hours! Did I mention that we were running on 4 hours of sleep from guesting the night before? Phil, the big man that he is had to bear the brunt of the hazing but Bohee and I could get by calling ourselves girls. It's amazing the hospitality of the people here. In one house we went to we were the only 3 people there and within 5 minutes the previously empty table was covered with tons of food, wine and vodka and the room was overflowing with family members. With the three of our language skills combined we could actually hold a real conversation. We can't believe it, but we actually survived our first holiday here and we had so much fun. If it's one thing they know how to do here, it's to have a good time and throw one hell of a party.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Love! I am SO glad to hear that you are having fun! It seems every update I get is-- Katie is sick or no one has heard from Katie. I am glad to hear that you are doing well. Love you! ~Linds Z.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home