ab Chasing Kate: Luche, no ne otleatchna...

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Luche, no ne otleatchna...

That means... better but not great. I am still struggling and coping but I feel a lot better because I went home to my first host family and they pretty much babied me all weekend which is what I needed. My mom showered me with kisses and even tucked me in at night. I went to see all of the other volunteers families and they all claimed I was too skinny (I'm not) and (force) fed me a bunch of delicious food. I miss being around Russians constantly. My mom is insane, she is always carrying on about something but now that I actually understand her, she's actually pretty funny. I was able to relax and not be on edge about anything. The only thing the families in Koshoi want me to do is love them and come home often (and bring cake when I do). And that's it. Next time I feel like I can't take another day, I'm hopping on the first marshurutka and going home. She even made me grilled cheese but I must have not explained it clearly enough because she made a grilled peanut butter and cheese sandwich. I ate it anyway.

This week we have quarantine because 1/2 the students are ill and the other half don't come anyway and our school is cold because we don't have heat so I am going to basically study Russian nonstop until Thursday and work on the scarf that I'm knitting Charlie (another volunteer) and avoid my oldest sister. Danier, my favorite students' Father has been helping me with Russian lessons and I've been hanging out at their house a lot. He said he wants me to come live with them and he said he'd even build me my own house in their backyard. I know he would build it too if I actually took him up on the offer but from now on, I'll just go there as a refuge from my own house. I mentioned to his mom that my middle sister, Jildes and I were going to make pumpkin monti (dumplings) together and the next time I was over there, she had made it for me for lunch because she knew it was my favorite. So yeah, things are better, not great, but getting there, and it's the thoughtful and loving people that make being here worthwhile.


And thank you girls for your loving comments, the other thing that keeps me going here is knowing that there are people back home thinking about me, praying for me and supporting me. It really means a lot to me, so thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home