ab Chasing Kate: Not Bad.

Friday, January 13, 2006

Not Bad.

This summer, my brother's girlfriend Kathy (hey Kat!) called it to my family's attention that we always describe things as "not bad". She asked why we say that, wouldn't it be better to say good, awesome, or excellent? I really didn't have a good answer for her. Well my family here started catching on, too. I always say "ne plo-ha" which in Russian means, of course, not bad. My dubious cousin (who is losing his dubiousness day by day) has even started to say it in English. Now the 3 words that he knows in English are: not, bad, and boyfriend. I have no idea where he picked up that third one because I certainly didn't teach it to him.

So I have been struggling with the decision whether or not I should say with my host family. This is a really hard decision for me because I don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire, so to speak. Living in a sorority house definitely has it's trade-offs. I have a lot of independence and they aren't constantly yelling at me to put on my "shapka" (hat, in Russian), but at the same time, I think I take a small downgrade in living conditions. For example, I was cleaning out my water distiller and I noticed a bunch of drowned ants in it. (Is it wrong that my first thought after seeing their little swimming bodies, I thought, "well, at least I'm getting some protein"?) Anyways, I am pretty sure a Russian or Kyrgyz mother (whose job it is to take care of the household) would never let their house be infested by ants.

On the other hand, Jildes, my favorite and middle sister and I have become increasingly closer. We manage to have these half English, half Russian conversations and I have discovered that our personalities are very similar. She's got a good sense of humor and she doesn't take any crap from anyone. I went guesting with her pretty much every night last week and I met a lot of her friends and I'm starting to feel like I actually have a life here. And hanging out with her and her friends who are educated have helped me dispel many stereotypes regarding cultural gender roles. I have actually seen (gasp!) some boys pour tea! I have actually watched (gasp!) some boys do their own laundry! I have even heard (gasp!) some boys denounce their age-old tradition of kidnapping their brides! Some of the ones that are not as progressive even agree that at least the girl should consent to the kidnapping before it happens.

So I've banya'd with my friends and family but last weekend was my first trip to the public banya in Bishkek. (My sister and I tried to go to a private banya in my village but by 9 p.m. all the hot water was gone). It was basically an old soviet warehouse that was converted into a bath house. Imagine just one big room with a few open showers on the perimeter and a big open area with some benches to put your stuff down on. Being here has forced me to be comfortable being naked in front of people, you really have no choice... be smelly, or be naked with 40 other women... Even being on the street, I have gotten used to the people staring at me (am I really that hideous?) but I must have been the first American in that public banya ever because they didn't let their eyes wander off of me for even one second. Every square inch of my body was thoroughly inspected by these women. At one point, I felt like putting my arms above my head and twirling so everyone could get a good look so I could go back to washing. Then my sister and I took turns beating each other, which surprisingly I have gotten used to (Tiffany, you better not be laughing, you're next when I get back).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katie, is that your dirty shirt?

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha...i will never stop laughing. I will never get used to the idea of being spanked in an overheated room bare ass naked. If only you had a camera...

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home