ab Chasing Kate: So Serious.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

So Serious.

I have never been a person to take myself seriously. Those of you who know me know that when people laugh at me, I am usually laughing the hardest. Well I reached a new low last week in school. I was teaching body parts and illnesses to my 10th grade class and in front of them I sang the "heads, shoulders, knees and toes" song. I think all my students lost a little respect for me after I did that. Note to self: only sing and dance in front of my 6th grade class.

One of my best friends from Australia noticed how people always seem to come to my rescue and help me out. He said, something about you just screams helpless and people are always just waiting to take care of you. I really couldn't argue with him, I know I'm not entirely helpless but I do seem to elicit help from other people pretty frequently. On purpose or not. So lately my village cow hasn't been producing much milk and I love to eat oatmeal in the mornings and I'm sick of just plain water. The other day I went on a quest to find out who else sells milk in the village. I went to 3 houses and finally I asked a grandpa if he knew where I could go to get milk. He must have been so happy that I asked him because he personally took me around to each of the houses where he knew sold the best milk and bought me a liter. He's actually one of my neighbors and he told me that he sees me walking around all the time but has never tried to talk to me so he asked me the standard, "what are you doing here" questions. Even 10,000 miles away from home, people don't think I'm self-reliant.

Side note: Mary Ellen, I am snacking on the pop tarts you sent me right now and they taste sooooo good. Thanks again for being so thoughtful.

I have always noticed young boys playing outside in the streets and they are always playing this game involving rocks. I finally started paying more attention and after watching them all line up and take turns throwing their rocks, it occurred to me that they are actually playing "bocce ball" without the shiny colorful ready-made balls. It never ceases to amaze me how resourceful kids can be, no matter what country they're in.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bocce ball - yay! Reminds me of a certain polo match and bottle of Bacardi... "You all aren't from around here, are you?"

XOXO

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home