ab Chasing Kate: New Kids on the Block.

Monday, August 07, 2006

New Kids on the Block.

First let me explain something about Pre-Service training in Peace Corps. Its usually a drag for the trainees because they days are long and tiring and you get all this information that you don’t even know how to use yet. So Peace Corps likes to invite volunteers who are so-called experts in a particular field to come and talk about their own personal experiences and how it relates to their service here. (This is usually the best part of PST because volunteers usually stray from their assigned topic after 5 minutes then talk about whatever is they feel is personally relevant). So anyways, I was the very first volunteer to show up at Training and I was lucky enough to talk about diarrhea.

At first I was like no, I can’t talk about that, it’ll ruin any chances I have of getting a K-14 boyfriend. I’ll be forever known as that diarrhea girl. But I had nothing else planned and I was dying to see the new kids so I thought, what the hell. Besides, my talk was pretty funny but then again it’s impossible to talk about diarrhea and NOT be funny. My first impression of the new group was that they looked like clean and healthy little puppies. A little wary but still really eager. I figured my talk would change all that right away.

I regaled them with tales of giardia, worms and I.V.s and as their eyes widened I could see them shooting side-ways glances to their buddies about what this crazy girl was still doing in country. In fact, I may have done the same thing once or twice. I told them that there’s a saying that you’re not a Real Peace Corps Volunteer until you poop your pants, which is absolutely true. I am now a Real PCV three times over. My favorite question came at the end of the session when my talk was over. You could tell the guy was hesitant to ask it but wanted to know the answer anyway. He inquired, “So, were you like, in the outhouse, and you missed? Did you like, have bad aim? Or what?” my response was, “Oh no no, my dear sweet child, shitting your pants happens only when the outhouse is a complete afterthought.” Once my talk was over I expected standing ovation but it was more like uncomfortable laughter and the forced slow-clap. Regardless, I really feel like I inspired some trainees that day and even if it’s not an accident, I can see a 100% turn out rate for the K-14s being Real PCVs.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Diarrhea is so hot right now.

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home