ab Chasing Kate: Mac Guyver

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Mac Guyver

Of course we’re all familiar with the old 80’s show where the main character, Mac Guyver could make a bomb out of a piece of gum and a teaspoon. Well I think I live with the Kyrgyz version of him. My host brother and I were talking about being jack-of-all trades kind of people (except I am the girl version, instead of a bomb, I can make a quilt) All I have to do is hold up a broken item, shrug my shoulders and give a “what-am-I-going-to-do-about-this” face and in minutes, presto! Problem solved. He probably thinks I’m absolutely helpless but then again, he’s always impressed when I do actually know what I’m talking about.

All of the volunteer’s worst fears include something to do with the pit toilet, either dropping something in it or God forbid, falling in it. Well I have to say that I’m the first in our group to realize that fear. I was going to go for a run and I thought I’d make a quick stop at the pit toilet. I had my ipod clipped securely (foreshadowing) to my belt with the convenient yet sleek case my parents got me and I had my earphones around my neck. The minute I went to squat, I felt a pull and heard a snap and saw my ipod plummeting to its death, I immediately lunged forward to try and grab my doomed ipod, to no avail. Before I could utter, “ohhh sshhhhiiiiiiiiiii---” I sprinted inside the house screaming frantically, “fell! Fell!” I was so frustrated I could get the Russian words out so I motioned my brother to follow me. I was like “m..p...3 player… toilet…. Fell…. Gone… ahhhh” He ripped off the wooden base and I motioned for me going down there to get it. I was like I’ll go I’ll go I’ll go. He was like, just wait, calm down. He left and brought back a garden hoe and reached down, scooped it up and retrieved it for me. LUCKILY it only fell on some tissue paper but I threw my sleek yet convenient case away and scrubbed my ipod and hands with disinfectant until my fingers were raw.


After I had calmed down, he came back to me and was like, the way you were screaming, I thought you had lost something important, like documents or something. I was like first of all, my ipod is way more important than any document I have, and second of all, I’m an idiot, thank you so much for helping me. He said I was lucky because it didn’t fall in any liquid and I vehemently agreed. He was like, “I can’t believe how ready you were to go down there and get it, don’t you realize what’s down there??” Recalling all those times I was ill, the thought had crossed my mind for a second, but I think I would have risked it if there were no other choices. I have heard about those people that say they don’t know how they ever lived without their ipod and how it changed their life. I think I am now in an entirely different category if I was willing to retrieve mine from a pit toilet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home