ab Chasing Kate: What Happened?

Thursday, August 03, 2006

What Happened?

Back in June, I figured my summer would be cake. I would siesta all day and read all night. I would catch up on my journal and reflect on my last 10 months here. I would do my lesson plans in advance, figure out my schedule for next year and get a head start on vocabulary lists and on top of all that, be fluent in Russian by the end of the summer. I've got a month left and I've done absolutely none of those things. Summer is not as slow as I thought it would be and actually I've been busier than I ever anticipated. The time has flown by and it's hard for me to recall what I've actually been doing this entire time. But here's a starter...

For two weeks in July our house was an absolute mess. We did what we call in Russian a "Remont" which directly translates as "repair". We repainted all the rooms, scrubbed the floors and cleaned every rug in our house. It doesn't seem like a lot of work but it took two weeks for everything to be finished. My sisters originally estimated 2 days. Way off. I don't want to go into detail because I still haven't recovered emotionally but let me just name the tools that my sister picked out to clean the rugs and you can get an idea for yourself as to why I am scarred for life and will never clean another rug again as long as I shall live: A shoe polisher, a paint roller, a lint remover and a vacuum cleaner attachment. I almost suggested I bring my tooth brush because it actually had the word "brush" in it. For all you "do-it-yourselfers" I wouldn't recommend any of the above to clean over 16 rugs in 4 days without running water. Just go buy the scrub brush for wampum or whatever it costs and consider it a long-term investment.

I'm going to take some deep breaths now and I promise I'll update again soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home